The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Strategic Plan 2020 provides an overarching framework for the future of NICHD research and establishes aspirational goals to fulfill the institute’s objectives. One such goal is to advance the ability to regenerate human limbs by using emerging technologies to activate the body’s own growth pathways and processes.
This workshop will inform NICHD’s eventual strategy for addressing this aspirational goal. The agenda for this interactive 2-day event was guided by responses to the Request for Information: Seeking Rapid Advancement of Research on Limb Regeneration (NOT-HD-20-004), issued in 2020.
The event will include:
* Two keynote addresses
* Four sessions covering the basic science perspective of limb regeneration and the clinical scientific perspective of limb loss and regeneration
* Opportunities for questions and answers and community feedback
* Multiple panel discussions to:
* Promote crosstalk between basic scientists and clinicians
* Inform future directions
* Create collaborative opportunities toward the common goal of advancing limb regeneration from animal models to humans